Full course description
UC Berkeley's Center for Educational Partnerships (CEP) offers online professional development courses designed by college advising experts for new and experienced college access professionals and counselors in schools, community-based organizations, and college access programs.
- Course participants will gain knowledge, reflect on their practice, and receive resources to improve college advising services and guidance provided to students and families.
- Whether you are building your practice or want to stay informed on policies and best practices, there is a course for you!
- The professional development module series is self-directed, high quality, self-paced, and practical.
Welcome to the Helping High School Graduates Avoid Summer Melt and Enroll in College Course!
Completing this course will prepare you to effectively work with students over the summer to ensure that they have the support and information necessary to complete all required college enrollment steps!
Course Learning Objectives:
- Understand what summer melt is and how it impacts students.
- Review high level best practices when working with students to avoid summer melt (including communication strategies).
- Review the key focus areas and general steps required for successful college enrollment.
- Review program development areas to be considered when launching a summer melt initiative.
- Review sample tools and resources helpful when working with students.
Certificate of Completion: Upon successful completion of course requirements and feedback form, you will be able to download a Certificate of Completion for this course (noting 3 hours of professional development).