Full course description
- Families are seen as experts who hold valuable knowledge, funds of wisdom, and community cultural wealth.
- Families are given the opportunity to share thoughts, ideas, and experiences related to the college knowledge shared during the conversation.
- Conversations recognize and validate cultural norms while introducing and considering educational norms and expectations.
- Conversations build community by fostering dialogue and interaction to support the establishment of a supportive network of parents and families.
- The curriculum includes parent evaluations.
These conversations are part of a college-going framework that includes increasing College Aspirations, College Knowledge, and College Planning.
- College Aspirations: We want ALL students to see themselves in college and know that they can be successful in any post-secondary option they choose.
- College Knowledge: Once students have developed the pre-disposition to college-going, they need access to college knowledge connecting their aspirations to reality.
- College Planning: With college knowledge in place, students will have the necessary foundation to plan their academic futures.
Elementary School Workshops (Kinder - 5th Grade)
- (Kinder-2nd) Looking Ahead: Expectations for our Children’s Future
- (Kinder-2nd) Why College?
- (3rd-5th) Developing Academic Skills & Promoting Achievement
- (3rd-5th) Changes: Making Successful Transitions
- (Kinder-5th) Intro to Paying for College
Middle School Workshops (6th - 8th Grade)
- (6th) Welcome to Middle School
- (6th) Promoting a Growth Mindset
- (7th) College 101
- (7th) Exploring Career Options
- (8th) High School, Here I Come!
- (8th) Creating the 4-Year Academic Plan
- (6th-8th) Paying for College 101: Part I
High School Workshops (9th - 12th Grade)
- (9th) Transitioning to High School
- (9th) The Importance of the 4-Year Academic Plan
- (10th) College Requirements
- (10th) College Entrance Exams
- (11th) 11th/12th Grade Timeline
- (11th) Understanding Degrees & Majors
- (12th) Senior College Night
- (12th) Senior Financial Aid Night
- (9th-12th) Paying for College 101: Part II